Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Big Bonk

In the world of running, the term 'bonking' refers to running out of energy during a run.  I'm taking the liberty of using the word in reference to my training.  After Saturday's awesome 17 mile run I felt invigorated and quite elated.  These feelings of euphoria only last for a couple of hours.  By that evening my body became very tired.  I even felt feverish.  Thinking that a good night's rest was in order, I retired to bed early.  I woke up sleepy, endured the day wore out, and finished the evening feeling yet again feverish.  Monday morning was not any better.  After taking Morgan to school and then grocery shopping, I checked into the Y.  I reminded myself of my commitment to this Marathon and mounted the treadmill.  I wanted to cry, I could barely jog at a 5mph hour pace for 30 minutes.  What was going on with me?!

My dear running pal Shelia constantly reminds me during our runs, "Slow down! You're surging!".  I have a very hard time keeping a steady 6mph pace for the duration of our runs.  I want to go really fast.  After a bit of consideration yesterday afternoon, I came to this conclusion: I'm also surging with my training.  Just as I feel the need to pick up speed  and then struggle to keep up with the girls after a 'surge' in my running, I believe I'm doing that in my daily life.  Though the schedule may only call for thirty minutes of cross training on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I typically take a 1 hour class, followed by 1 hour of running.  Instead of jogging for 30 or 40 minutes on Mondays and Fridays, I normally jog for closer to 2 hours.  Going over what is scheduled for my body has finally caught up to me.  I have bonked.  From here on out, I will more faithfully follow my schedule in hopes to have enough energy to finish it in April!

2 comments:

  1. I use a an app on my phone. It is a Training program by Runners World. It tells me how many miles to run and what type of run and the pace to run at. I use another app while I run, by Runkeeper, it gives me updates very often on my pace. It helps me run a pretty constant pace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Josh! I did download Runkeeper on my iphone. I've got another app that helps me keep pace, Shelia! LOL! If I'd just listen to her, I'd do just fine! We ran 12 miles last Saturday and I stayed right with the group. I didn't pick up the pace until the last mile, so I felt it was a more successful run. How is your running going?

    ReplyDelete